Cameron Highlands- Places to go
I have not been to Cameron's for a very long time and decided to do some homework about it. At least to know the history and also what are the attractions that I can go to without paying entrance fees
Cameron Highlands got its name from the person who discovered this place in 1895 by Sir William Camerons. He was a land surveyor for the Pahang State then. Its ranges were about the same like Nuwara Eliya in Sri Lanka, which was already made into a town then. Sir Hugh Low, who was then the Perak's Resident, decided to turn this place into a sanatorium, health resort and also open farmland.
Cameron Highlands is located in the main range between the Perak and Pahang border. Until now, 71% of this area is still forested. There are two ways to access the highlands, with the Tapah exit from the highway being the older rout and exit closer to Kuala Lumpur. The roads are more winding, and at times can only allow one car to pass at a time.
There are three main towns in Cameron Highlands- Ringlet, Brinchang and Tanah Rata.
Ringlet is the lowest town and Tanah Rata is in between.
Places to visit:
1. All Saint's Church- in Tanah Rata.
2. Tanah Rata Post Office- this was officially opened by the first Prime Minister of Malaysia, Tunku Abdul Rahman. It is located in town, opposite the bus station.
3. Ye Olde Smoke House- an original Tudor architecture, worth taking pictures at.
4. Kampung Orang Asli Village- It is located in between Brinchang and Tanah Rata- free entry.
5. Time Tunnel- coming up from Tanah Rata to Brinchang, you will see this buiding on the right side.
6. Brinchang night market- Available every Sat and Sun evenings.
7. Lata Iskandar Waterfall- this is located on the way up from Tapah, you wont miss it.
8. Kea Farm, Brinchang- On the way up to Equatorial Hotel, you will see a clear sign board.
9. Raju's Strawberry Farm- the most famous strawberry farm in Cameron's walking distance from the Kea Farm and Equatorial Hotel.
10. Bee Farm- it is in Ringlet, on the way to the Boh Plantation. Located on the right.
11. Boh Plantation, Ringlet- narrow roads heading to the plantation. Tourists can take a sip here and also go into the tea plantation. Very scenic.
12. Cactus Point- on the way to Brinchang from Tanah Rata, this structure is on the right of the road. You won't miss it as a lot of cars will be stopping by this place.
13. Hutan Lipur Parit Fall- This place is close to the All Saint's Church and Ye Olde Smoke House.
14. Bharat's Tea- this structure is the one of the most captured places in Cameron's. It is on the way down from Brinchang.
Have a good holiday!